Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Pride (in the name of Dissent)

Note: For some reason, I'm unable to upload pictures to the post, so bear with me. It must be my marijuana-soaked brain, and certainly no fault of Blogger.

When Rex Kramer asked me to write a post for Spurious George, I was shocked, to say the least. Anyone who has ever glanced at my blog may notice that it consists mainly of pictures and regurgitated crap that I glean from the internet mixed with the occasional snide remark from yours truly. Hardly the prerequisite for guest-writing on a blog as prestigious and fancifully decorated as this one.

And to top it all off, the gun-toting, Jesus-loving bastard expects me to crank out a piece about what makes me proud to be an American! Talk about pressure. So, over the last couple of weeks, between nail-biting sessions, I’ve been hemming and hawing about what to write. At one point I thought about backing out and telling him I was going on vacation this week. The only problem with that plan was that I wouldn’t be able to do anything on my blog for a week, either. I think he purposely concocted this house-moving stunt to put me through hell. OK, enough of the whining. Ready or not, here it comes.

At first, I thought, “That’s easy. The most obvious thing that makes me proud to be an American is my ability to post anti-Bush signs on the freeway (this is where the whole picture thing would've come in really handy) without fear of being hauled off in the middle of the night, thrown into the back of a truck and then taken to a remote location to be shot in the back of the head.” And while that reason for pride in my nation is a great one, I thought there was still something lacking. And then it hit me. The big picture. It’s not just my ability to promote free speech but the ability of all of us to do it, and the fact that we are all doing it in our own way.
Most of the people reading this blog right now are bloggers themselves and the majority of them are folks who advocate and promote free thinking and expression through their own blogs. It’s people like Kvatch with his little green army of patriots. Or The Poetryman, who has the ability to pluck a mundane story from the headlines and turn it into beautiful and inspiring prose. It’s ladies like Kathleen Callon from the California desert posting new and interesting stories that you just won‘t find in the typical media sources, Glenda the Good Witch of Blogdom spreading progressive information throughout the land and always there to give a word of encouragement to a frazzled freewayblogger, Elizabeth Branford with her sharp tongue and even sharper wit, and of course Pissed off Patricia, who has a way of expressing precisely and eloquently the anger I feel at all that is wrong with the world. It’s people like Graeme Anfinson who lives so close to Canada, he can smell the back-bacon wafting throught the rear window of his house and yet still finds the time to write about this country, and of course Rex Kramer himself on whose behalf I have started the Rex Kramer Fund. The fund is a non-profit organization dedicated to raising cash to pay for the expensive surgery that will be required to extricate Kramer’s tongue from the inside of his cheek. I apologize for any of you that I have left out but, as you can guess, all the pot smoking and protest rallies have taken a toll on the old PTCruiser brain cell factory. One person I must mention is Enigma4Ever, patron of the Enigma Café. It was through E4E’s blog that I met all of you and I thank her for that. Just as I thank all of you for doing what you do every day. It’s often frustrating and rarely easy to go about tilting at windmills as we do, but together I believe we all, through our own patriotic efforts, make a tremendous contribution to this country that I love….America.

As a parting shot, there’s a video located in the post below that my underground sources absconded from the Rex Kramer mansion while he was in the process of moving out. It’s a short film of the Danger Seeker himself, prancing around his bedroom during a night of drunken right-wing debauchery. What a tool. Enjoy.

PTCruiser
(Thanks for letting me play in your sandbox, Rex. Oh, and um, watch out for the steaming pile of crap I left underneath the slide.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post PT. I am banging my head against the wall trying to think of something for thursday.

That truly is a great quality about the US. The ability to give our leaders a verbal smack-down whenever we see fit. nice work

June 20, 2006 2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Graeme. I can now breathe a sigh of relief and get back to my bong.

June 20, 2006 8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree PT that the right to speak out is extremely important and there are place where people cannot even learn to read- much less do what we do, say.

I admire people like you and Kvatch because it is the exercising of free speech that keeps us mindful of how important it is. I say we have "Fuck Bush T Shirt Day" just to drive home that point.

Steaming crap? I usually leave that on rex's porch! HA HA! That damn nut.

June 20, 2006 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. PT. I would hope that we all cross-pollinate each other's ideas with wit and wisdom and encourage each other to new growth and heroic endeavors.

June 20, 2006 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it wards off my drift towards cynicism when i remember how rare freedom of speech actually is in this world. and it scares the shit out of me to think our speech may be wiretapped, our wombs ruled upon, our freedom to assembly corraled into tight spaces, and our votes f*cked with.

June 20, 2006 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

selen a blogs home

September 23, 2018 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home